Thursday, August 19, 2010

100th Post! CEIMB: Salmon Cakes with Ginger-Sesame Sauce


I really cannot believe that I have hit 100 posts! It just doesn't seem possible, and yet here I am. I wish I had something incredibly elaborate or fancy to present to you for the occasion, but alas it is time for another good old Craving Ellie in My Belly! I also wish I could say that I made something I really loved for this occasion, but I actually didn't even eat this week's pick. It's all good, though. The hubby really enjoyed it!



When I first discovered that this week's choice was Salmon Cakes with a Ginger-Sesame Sauce, I knew I probably was not going to be eating it. I'm sorry, I just can't do salmon. Not to mention my extreme dislike of both yogurt and mayonnaise (the two primary ingredients in the dipping sauce). Yeah, it just was not going to be in the cards for me. Originally I just wanted to do an Ellie rewind recipe; you know, try out something the group made way before I joined. But then the hubs found out that the recipe was salmon. After a bit of persuading, I agreed to make the cakes for him after all. I made a third of the full recipe, and got four patties.




I would love to be able to tell you that I was very brave and tried the salmon cakes, but I'd be lying. I know they're probably great, but I just could not get past the smell of the canned salmon. After inhaling those fumes while preparing this, I just couldn't eat them. I don't know; I'm sure I'm just strange, and that I'm going to read the other CEIMBers' blogs and find out that these were a rousing success. And they were a success, at least for my husband. He said they were delicious. He especially liked the sauce. I had to make it with sour cream instead of yogurt, since that is what I had on hand. I was afraid that may have been the wrong thing to do, but apparently not since he loved it!



Thank you, Sarah of Sarah's Kitchen Adventures, for a pick that was a definite hit with my hubby. I'm sorry I didn't eat it myself, but know that it was loved! I served it with some roasted corn on the cob and some bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers (recipe coming soon). This recipe can be found here, on Food Network's website. I'm anxious to see what everyone else thought of this one!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 100th post. Good job.
    The salmon cakes were delish. The smell of salmon is horrible but the taste and the health benefits are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that you didn't get to eat the salmon cakes, but I am glad that your husband enjoyed them. Thanks for participating with me and congrats on your 100th post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 100 posts! and your salmon cakes look delicious! Sour cream is a great substitute for yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100 posts...so happy you are blogging, love to check in over here each week. Several years ago I would not have made this either, while I like fresh salmon, the thought of trying this out of a can would have gagged me. But sometimes tastebuds change as I actually thought it was good. I had one whole one, so not just a bite either! Yours look great. So fun to make something the husband enjoys, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the 100th post. Major kudos for making a dish you knew you wouldn't eat but thought your husband might enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your husband enjoyed them, and it was very sweet of you to make them for him! I've never worked with canned salmon, but I can only imagine that if you already aren't a salmon fan, the smell would be overwhelming. They do look good though :)

    ReplyDelete