Friday, November 26, 2010

CEIMB: Roasted Brussels Sprouts


How was everybody's Thanksgiving? Ours was great; tons of food, lots of people around, and our kids were really well-behaved. Now there's something to be thankful for!

I'm going to keep this post short because I'm preparing it on Thanksgiving evening, and quite frankly I'm exhausted! A food coma awaits me.



For this week's Craving Ellie in My Belly assignment, we got to choose our own dish! Because of the Thanksgiving holiday, we all agreed that it would be best to have each member of the group select an Ellie recipe they would like to make. Then, we had our deadline extended to Friday, so everybody could have Thursday off if they wanted it. I decided to make something that could easily serve as a side dish at Thanksgiving dinner, even though we actually ate this a few weeks ago. It's Ellie's Roasted Brussels Sprouts, and it was my first time working with these little green marvels.

My mom made me some the last time I was out on the East Coast for a visit. I had never eaten a Brussels sprout before that, but I really loved them the way she prepared them. They were so simple; salt, pepper, and olive oil to roast them, balsamic vinegar to taste. The sprouts get all nice and caramelized in the oven, and so nice and tender on the inside.

Ellie's take on the sprouts is even easier: salt, olive oil, and the sprouts themselves. You bake them in a 375 degree oven for an hour, and then you're good to go. I have to say, while I thought they were delicious, I think I liked them with the balsamic vinegar more. What can I say? The vinegar adds such a great tart/sweetness, and I can't often resist that flavor combo. I'm still glad I finally tried it Ellie's way, though. Now I know what my preference is!



To find out what everybody else in the group decided to make this week, be sure to check out the blogroll, here. And stop on by next Thursday; the next CEIMB is my pick!


Roasted Brussels Sprouts
from Ellie Krieger's So Easy
makes 8 servings

Ingredients
2 lbs. Brussels Sprouts, halved
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper (not in Ellie's version, but I added)

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and toss them with the oil and salt. Roast until they are golden brown and crisp on the outside and softened and tender inside, about 1 hour.

3 comments:

  1. I have not picked anything yet, much less make it, but I am thinking that these and Margaret's garlic fries are strong contenders before the weekend is up over here. They both look so great. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is how I make brussels sprouts now also but have not tried the balsamic vinegar - have to buy more sprouts to try it - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were at the store yesterday and I saw brussel sprouts and thought of your recipe. I grabbed them and my oldest daughter goes, "Mommy, are those brussel sprouts? " I answered her and her she replied, quite loudly, "Thank you Mommy! I LOVE brussel sprouts!!!". The look on the little old lady's face standing next to us was priceless!
    They are now roasting in my oven and we can not wait to try to them!

    ReplyDelete