Sunday, July 31, 2011

Baked Sunday Mornings: Coffee Ice Cream


This week's Baked Sunday Mornings selection was supposed to be Olive Oil Orange Bundt Cake. Somehow, I got my dates mixed up. I never actually went back and checked the recipe schedule, I just assumed I knew what this week's pick was. Then, this morning, when I went over to the blogroll to link up, I realized that I had made the wrong recipe! Oops. It was a tasty mistake, though, and now I'll be making the bundt cake on the week that the recipe I did make is scheduled to be on.

So, here's my offering: Coffee Ice Cream! I was really excited about this; I have recently begun to embrace my little home ice cream maker, and I knew this recipe would just have to be wonderful. Coffee, Kahlua, custard base? Count me in!



I decided to reduce this recipe to half the amount, since I was going to have to make it in small batches either way. I only have a half-pint ice cream machine, and it really isn't very powerful, anyway. Plus, I knew only my hubby and me would be eating this; no coffee or booze for the kiddos, of course!



The custard base was very easy to assemble and didn't take very long to make. It required a bit of stirring while on the stove, but otherwise it wasn't labor intensive. The base is cooled down to room temperature, and then set in the refrigerator for a long chill. I made my base the day before we were going to make the ice cream. I think it aged well, because it tasted even better the next day (yes, I know this because I tasted the base after I first made it. Wouldn't you?). I found out after the fact that I had forgotten to reduce the salt measurement by half, so my ice cream did turn out a tad salty. Lucky for us, we like salty/sweet desserts!



I discovered that it's hard to get a decent picture of ice cream for food blogging purposes, so here's my weak attempt at getting a good shot. I think you get the gist; it was very creamy, with a nice solid coffee flavor, and the alcohol really wasn't noticeable at all to us. I would certainly make this again and again! If you'd like to find out what everybody else in the group thought of the bundt cake, check out the blogroll, located here. I'll be making it at the end of August; in the meantime, try the ice cream!

9 comments:

  1. I love making ice cream but unfortunately don't like coffee so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this one in a couple of weeks.

    Glad you guys enjoyed this one - looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good! I have been wanting to try this recipe and was happy to see it was on the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate taking pictures of ice cream! It is so stressful! Can't wait to make this. I am excited for next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not the biggest coffee fan (unless you count those fancy Starbuck's drinks that are only part coffee), but coffee-flavored desserts, I can get behind! Ice cream is a particular weakness of mine, and this really looks delicious. I love your cute little ice cream maker, by the way :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm glad you got your dates mixed up! I wanted to hear about the coffee ice cream. I'm excited to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that we've not been into making ice cream this year...it certainly is hot enough here in AZ to eat it every day!!! You have inspired me...we usually make it weekly, don't know what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, you've got me excited to make this now... can't wait! (and i hate taking pics of ice cream too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not a bad mistake at all I say! Your coffee ice-cream looks perfect to enjoy in this heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, who doesn't love to read about ice cream on a 95 degree day! You made me super excited to try this recipe. Oh, your ice cream shot looks delicious! It makes me want to lick the bowl, and I am pretty sure that is a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete