Thursday, September 16, 2010

CEIMB: Whole-Wheat Waffles with Strawberry Sauce


This week's Craving Ellie in My Belly recipe was supposed to be Whole-Wheat Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce, chosen by Melissa of It's Melissa's Kitchen. However, since I've already made (and loved) these pancakes before, I thought it would be fun to transform the recipe into waffles this time! I wasn't sure it would work, but I assumed that the pancake batter would turn out equally as well in a waffle maker as it would on a stovetop griddle.



Guess what? The waffles were as good as the pancakes, if not better! In my opinion, they rank right up there with some of the best waffles we've ever made at home. I followed the recipe exactly, but I did throw in the zest of one small lemon. What a difference it made! The fragrant lemon zest could be detected both in the smell of the waffles cooking and in the tender, fluffy finished product. It worked great with the tart strawberry sauce as well.

Speaking of that sauce. In my version, I wanted no strawberry seeds, so I ran my strawberry puree through a fine mesh sieve before setting it on the stovetop to warm. It was just perfect. With the generous dusting of confectioners' sugar that we sprinkled on our waffles, there were great contrasts of flavor in this dish. We just loved it.



So it was yet another Ellie winner for us! Of course, I knew waffles would most likely be a hit here, but the fact that these were completely delicious, yet deceptively healthy, was just icing on the cake. Or waffle?

You can find Ellie's pancake recipe here. And be sure to check out the CEIMB blogroll to see the other members' versions.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful, wonderful idea. I'm def. grabbing that one and running with it. Ted will thank you so much for putting that into my head. He has inhaled all those pancakes and if I make the waffles, which he really loves, he'll be blowing kisses your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your waffles idea! I'm about to make these so should be posted later today. I'm running behind! Yours look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! I prefer waffles to pancakes and have fallen behind on my cooking so maybe this will show up as waffles in my kitchen as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, these are so pretty. I love that it works for waffles as well, thanks for the research on that idea. The powdered sugar is a very lovely addition, just sets it all off so nicely, I wish I had thought of that! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete