Sunday, March 27, 2011

Baked Sunday Mornings: Malted Crisp Tart


This week's assignment for Baked Sunday Mornings was the Malted Crisp Tart, and marked my first-ever time making a tart. I just received a tart pan for Christmas this past year, and just have not had an opportunity to use it until now. I was excited to finally break it in!



I was concerned initially that this tart would not be very well-received, because as soon as my husband heard that this tart was "malted," he was pretty disgusted. He claims to hate anything that contains malt and despises the Whoppers candy that adorns this. However, I was pretty confident that if anybody could turn him around on the whole malt issue, it would be the guys of Baked.



Although there are many steps involved in making this tart, it is actually very easy to put together. The malted brown sugar crust is whipped up quickly in the food processor, then baked until golden brown. The malted milk chocolate ganache is then poured into the cooled crust, topped with caramelized crisped rice cereal and crushed malted milk balls, and left in the fridge to set. The malted diplomat cream (another first for me) is made while the tart chills, and was much easier to make than I thought it would be. It was also easily my favorite part of the dessert.



The diplomat cream is comprised of a pastry cream (seen above) that is pushed through a fine-mesh sieve and placed in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour. Then, you whip some heavy cream to soft peaks and fold that into the chilled pastry cream. The resulting cream is thick but light, and definitely delicious enough to just eat straight with a spoon. Not that I did that or anything.

Finally, the tart comes together. The diplomat cream goes over the chilled ganache/rice cereal/crushed malt ball layer, and then more crisped rice is sprinkled on top. Whole malt balls are arranged, fancy-like, around the tart, and there you have it. One of the more elaborate desserts I've made to date, but completely worth every step. Everyone who tried this loved it....and that includes my malt-hating hubby! Yep, he ate a few slices, and actually raved about the tart. So, smugly, I pointed out that the Baked guys can, indeed, make the impossible happen.



So, it was another great recipe from Baked Explorations! Please make your way over to the Baked Sunday Mornings blog to check out all the other wonderful tarts the other members made!

8 comments:

  1. Your tart is beautiful! This was recipe was challenging in the number of steps but overall pretty easy! Glad your husband has been converted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea on the new tart pan! Glad you were able to break it in with this recipe. It looks beautiful for your first one! I agree - many steps, but the outcome was worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to break in your new tart pan! I think this tart could make a malt believer out of anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fun to get a new baking pan. Part of the pleasure of all these recipes is getting a new pan or a new idea or a new way of doing a task...I love it all. And, your tart makes me want another!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! And what a perfect tart to break in your new tart pan, Not all tarts have this many steps which you'll see as you make more. Your tart is just lovely and I am not a bit surprised either that your husband was turned around on this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unlike your husband, I love Whoppers so as soon as I saw them atop this beautiful dessert and read about the different layers, my mouth started watering.

    It's so fun to be able to use new kitchen stuff, isn't it? I got a lasagna pan for Christmas that I still haven't broken in... too bad we don't live closer to each other, we could have had quite the feast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, you convinced him! Congrats on another successful baking project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to new pans and really, how often can we get them? Enjoy yours.

    I didn't have time to make this but looking at yours, I know I missed something.

    ReplyDelete