Sunday, March 13, 2011

Baked Sunday Mornings: Salt and Pepper Sandwich Cookies


It's yet another Baked Sunday Morning, and I'm very proud to present this week's delicious baked good. Our assignment this time around was Salt and Pepper Sandwich Cookies, which hold the distinction of being half of the cookies on the book's cover (the other cookies on the cover are the Malted Milk Sandwich Cookies, which are on my to-do list!). The best description for these cookies is this: a grown-up Oreo. An Oreo that is made way more interesting with the addition of (hence the title) salt and pepper. Uh-huh, for real.



I must admit, I had pretty high hopes for this one. I do love playing with flavors, and I especially love sweet/salty combos and sweet/spicy combos. Since this one incorporates all of that, I thought I couldn't lose here.

The cookies are simple enough to make. It's a chocolate cookie dough with the salt and pepper added into the batter (salt is also added to the tops of the cookies before baking). I skipped rolling out the dough, because that particular day I just did not have the patience to do so. Instead, I split my dough into four equal portions, and then cut those into even pieces and shaped them into balls that I flattened on the baking sheets. It worked out pretty well, although my cookies turned out kinda thick. I don't know how much thinner they would have been if I had cut circles like I was supposed to, but I didn't mind the outcome at all.



Okay, I don't know if my expectations were just really high for these cookies or what, but I was ever so slightly underwhelmed by them. They were very good, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the not-too-sweet chocolate cookie, with its salty exterior and its subtle afterburn from the pepper. The filling was pretty much spot-on, in terms of replicating the traditional Oreo cookie's filling. It complemented the cookies well. However, I guess I was just anticipating more. I honestly don't know what the problem was. Maybe it's just me; that's very possible. Andy took them to work and returned home empty-handed, so clearly they went over well there. I think if I were to make these again, I would go to the trouble of rolling out the dough and making the cookies skinnier. I think that would have made a difference.



Nonetheless, I'm still glad I made them. I've had my eye on this recipe for quite some time, literally! These cookies stare up at me from the book's cover every time I pull it out. I'm anxious to see how the other Baked Sunday Mornings members liked these cookies. To see for yourself, click on over to the blogroll, here. That is where you will also find the full recipe. Have a great Sunday!

9 comments:

  1. I LOVE these - I'm not big on using cutters, just don't have the patience, but never thought of rolling into balls! These look wonderful - very homemade and delicious-looking too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually love using cutters but rolling them into balls is fun too.
    And u have been really creative here.
    TOtally loved these cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good!! I saw Martha make these on her show after I had made mine and she shaped her recipe into small balls and flattened them with a glass covered in sugar, so I think next time if you make smaller balls they will be a little thinner just like the ones made from a cookie cutter. I am going to try that next time I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cookies look great! I preferred the thinner cookies in my batch and agree that the filling is spot on to an Oreo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to avoid rolling and cutting cookies whenever possible... Maybe it would work to form the dough into a roll before chilling and then cut off slices? I still think yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always try to avoid rolling and cutting. Glad to hear you enjoyed these. Now I really have to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always fun to see what this group is baking up! I have seen them on a few blogs and they all look different so I am going to have to give them a try for that reason alone, so I can see how mine turn out! They all look good. I just recently got this book so I am enjoying seeing others baking from it and what they made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post. I will make these more chocolaty next time around. We love them, but all the other flavors overpower the chocolate and I love chocolate almost more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow didn't even think of avoiding the rolling out part-something I hate ! Your cookies look yummy !

    ReplyDelete