Thursday, May 19, 2011

CEIMB: Lemon-Ginger Iced Tea with Berry Cubes


This week's Craving Ellie in My Belly recipe was supposed to be the Peach Pie Smoothies. However, once again, I found myself not really wanting to make this one since it contains my nemesis, yogurt. I feel bad that I haven't been participating with the correct recipes for two weeks now, especially because next week and the week after I will be on vacation, and therefore unable to participate!



So, I decided to go ahead and make next week's recipe a bit early and post about it today. Next week's recipe is the Lemon-Ginger Iced Tea with Berry Cubes, chosen by Mary of Popsicles and Sandy Feet. This one was such a great, refreshing beverage to make for springtime! And we enjoy both iced tea and lemonade around these parts, so I figured this one would go over pretty well.

As usual with Ellie's recipes, this one is easy to make. You allow a saucepan of water, honey, and chopped ginger to boil, and them simmer briefly. Once that is finished, you add in 6 tea bags and steep it for a while. Strain out the solids, and then add a bunch more water, along with 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice. Then you chill it out in the fridge for a few hours. To accompany the iced tea, Ellie instructs you to plop some fresh raspberries in an ice cube tray, fill the tray with water, and freeze it until you have these adorable little berry cubes. Since my kids and my husband just did some strawberry picking over the weekend, I decided to slice those and use them in my cubes.



The tea turned out delicious! Not too sweet, just the right amount of lemon, and the berry cubes were definitely the highlight. I didn't have time to run out and get fresh mint and extra lemon for garnish, but I feel like the cubes do the job of a garnish nicely, so we didn't really miss the other stuff too much. Thanks to Mary for the pick, and my apologies to Chaya of Comfy Cook's Kosher Kitchen for skipping out on the Peach Pie Smoothie! Do head over to her blog to see how it turned out.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I'll look forward to making that ice tea. Great for summer.
    In re to the smoothie, it really was good. Maybe convert to Peach Ice tea?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty pictures. I will be on vacation next week too, should have followed your lead and made the iced tea this week. Oh well. I'll play catchup when I return. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures! I am serving this tomorrow at my book club meeting, so I'm glad to know it turns out well! I am going to use blueberries since I had some in the freezer, but I think blueberry and ginger will go well together.

    Hope you have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you liked my pick! I loved the iced too too..>I thought it would get us all in the summer spirit!

    ReplyDelete