Sunday, April 10, 2011

Baked Sunday Mornings: Carrot Coconut Scones


This weekend's Baked Sunday Mornings goodie was Carrot Coconut Scones with Citrus Glaze. What a perfect Sunday morning treat! I'm going to keep this post short today, as my husband is running the St. Louis half-marathon this morning and I need to go get the kids ready so we can all be downtown in time for him to finish. He's been working so hard; I'm really proud of him and I can't wait to see him cross the finish line!



But back to the scones. These are delicious. They're slightly crusty on the outside, but pillowy soft on the inside. The carrot flavor is there, but you don't get small bits or shreds of carrot when you bite down. That's because this recipe has you puree some orange juice with the carrots after cooking and softening them. Almost like baby food, the carrot puree is mixed into the dry ingredients and blends into the finished product beautifully.

I was running low on coconut when I made these, but since I was going to be feeding the scones to various people and didn't know who loved or hated coconut, I thought maybe a reduced amount was a good solution. So, in the end, my scones only contained 1/4 cup of coconut, rather than the full 1 cup called for. As it turns out, many thought this was the perfect amount. There were unanimous rave reviews for these; everybody loved them.

The glaze really enhanced the scones with its citrusy sweetness, but I tried a scone warm from the oven the day they were made, and didn't have any glaze at the time. In my opinion, they were still amazing even without it! But either way you choose to enjoy them, give them a try. Nothing like carrot cake, but still wonderful in their own right.



Be sure to check out how the other members of the group liked their scones by clicking over to the blogroll, which is here. Enjoy your Sunday!

11 comments:

  1. These were awesome! I agree that the interior had a pillowy texture. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the look of your scones! My husband loved these just as much as I did and he ate them without the glaze. I thought these were especially good fresh out of the oven, but they were also good cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, 1/2 marathon...great! Your top photo made my mouth water...Nice description.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I should try this with reduced (or no) coconut. That's an idea, especially since the texture seems so great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good! I love a recipe as adaptable as this one- you can really make it your own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny... I thought they were sweet without the glaze too - but these look wonderful! And here's to success in the half marathon! Next up, a Full marathon? Beautiful scones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post-half-marathon treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures! I will take your recommendation on cutting back on the coconut next time I make these. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad they were well-received!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lighting makes your scones look even more delectible-beautiful job

    ReplyDelete