Thursday, April 7, 2011

CEIMB: Crispy Chicken Fingers


This week's Craving Ellie in My Belly recipe comes from Jen of The Rookie Baker. We made Crispy Chicken Fingers, from Ellie's first cookbook, The Food You Crave. I was pretty sure I had made this recipe before, a long time ago, but of course that wasn't about to stop me from making it again with the group! My family loves chicken fingers, and the preparation for this was so simple, I did not mind mind putting this one together at all.



The last time I had made this, I think I must have used Corn Flakes, because this time it tasted totally different. That's because this time around I used some of the Corn Chex that I still have lying around the house from the holidays, when we like to make several (hundred!) batches of Chex Mix. It's such an easy breading process, thanks to Ellie's tip of throwing the cereal crumbs in a Ziploc bag and sealing the chicken in there with them. Just shake, shake, shake, and you have breaded chicken! My chicken did stick together some after all the shaking, so I had little bits of the chicken which remained uncoated. I used my fingers and some excess crumbs to reapply cereal to the naked parts, and for the most part this worked out fine.

I stuck the chicken pieces on a baking sheet lined with nonstick aluminum foil, and everything baked up great and didn't stick at all. I did not follow Ellie's instructions completely; I took the chicken off the baking sheet immediately out of the oven. She tells you to leave the chicken on there longer to allow the chicken to crisp up even more. I'm sure that's why my chicken wasn't as crispy as I would have liked. That's my fault though; we were too impatient to eat that night!



For a quick, healthier way to enjoy breaded chicken, this recipe is a no-brainer. Thanks to Jen for allowing me to revisit this one! To see the full recipe, click here. To see the CEIMB blogroll, click here.

4 comments:

  1. Looks great...I want to make it again now seeing your photos...lol...I had never done this one before, so it was new to me and I was surprised how easy and good it was. Yours looks crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking I had made this before to, but I looked and I think we made oven fried chicken which was very very similar. I used multi-bran chex so my texture is similar to yours. We loved these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fingers look super. A bit more flavor to the crispy topping and it would be a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic! I'm so glad you enjoyed these...they were a hit here as well!

    ReplyDelete