Thursday, April 28, 2011

CEIMB: Asian Noodle Bowl


This week we had the pleasure of making Ellie's Asian Noodle Bowl for Craving Ellie in My Belly. This was chosen by Margaret of Tea and Scones, and it was the absolute perfect weeknight meal for my family. I'm not sure how this recipe escaped my notice for so long, but I'm sure glad Margaret put it on my radar!



I love the ease and freshness of a stir fry. This is one of the first things I ever learned how to make, and we never seem to tire of them. This one, while similar to others I've made in the past, was different and delicious. I realized, this may be the first stir fry I've ever prepared without garlic! I have to say, we didn't really miss it all that much, but it would have been good in there, too.



The ingredients list included fresh broccoli florets, shiitake mushrooms (my first time using them), red bell pepper, canned baby corn, scallions, chicken, and soba noodles. Once everything is stir-frying away, you pour in some low-sodium soy sauce and chicken broth and let it all absorb. The dish is finished with a bit of sesame oil and a few reserved scallions on top.

I was faithful to this recipe, for the most part. I did add one jalapeno pepper to the ginger and scallions that are added to the skillet at the beginning of the recipe, and I was glad I did. It gave the dish just the right amount of heat. Also, I had just 5 oz. of mushrooms, instead of the 8 oz. that were called for, but I just added in extra broccoli and it all worked out okay. My husband called this dish "extra delightful," which I can only take to mean that this one was a big winner!



Thank you to Margaret for choosing this one; it's simple but so delicious! To view the recipe, you can click here. And to see the CEIMB blogroll, you can click here.

4 comments:

  1. I like the jalapeno pepper idea :)
    We enjoyed the dish as well but I had to make some substitutions. It was kind of an Italian come Asian Bowl for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't this just the best ever? I wish I had tried it long ago. Glad it was chosen for us to try. Yours looks delicious and I would love jalapenoes in mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added sriracha sauce on top...you are right, garlic would be nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eek! My recipe did not call for mushrooms. Funny, I thought they might be a good addition but I did not have any.

    Yours look tasty and I like that you added heat to it. I love Ellie's recipes but they are not spicy which is what my husband likes.

    ReplyDelete